This post and its photos may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you! Read my full disclosure policy here.
Inside: These ideas for kid’s New Year’s activities will keep everyone smiling (and awake!) Includes a free set of adorable printable New Year’s Placemats to help ring in the New Year right!
Are you looking for some fun and entertaining New Year’s Eve Ideas for Kids?
You don’t have to go to an extravagant party to make New Year’s special. I love spending New Year’s at home (warm and cozy).
If you are like me and plan on spending New Year’s Eve at home (whether dressed up or in your pajamas), we have some fun New Year’s Eve activity ideas to help you entertain the kids.
Oh, and this post includes a FREE New Year’s Eve Placemat Bundle to make the festivities even better! (You can download it at the end of this post.)
Kid’s New Year’s Activities
1. New Year’s Activity Mat
The kids are staying up a little bit later, and you might be looking for some quiet (but fun) activities.
Put this activity mat in front of the kids during snack time and let the fun begin. (These printables come free in our New Years’ Activity Bundle which you can score at the end of this post).
This activity placemat includes:
- Tic tac toe
- Word Scramble
- Word search
- Color connect game
2. Time Capsule (Favorite kid’s New Year’s activity!)
There is no better time to create a Time Capsule than New Year’s Eve.
Time capsules should reflect a little bit of the time period they are coming from (and reflect a little of your personality).
Examples of items you could put in your time capsule include:
- Magazine clippings
- A list of your accomplishments throughout the year
- A list of your goals for the upcoming year
- Most wonderful memory from this holiday season
- Pictures of you or your friends or family
- Small toys
- Any crafts you made
- A list of your favorite things: Movies, games, songs, etc.
Use this free Time Capsule printable to add to your time capsule.
Your time capsule doesn’t need to be fancy. An old shoe box or cereal box is a great idea. You could decorate it with glitter and coloring.
I like to make the New Year’s time capsule for one year out, so you can open it next year at your New Year’s party and then create your new one. It can become a sweet family New Year’s tradition.
This bundle would also be perfect for parties, the classroom, or any holiday event with kids!
3. New Years Countdown
Now, if you are like me and do your countdown early (because keeping the kids up until midnight spells d.i.s.a.s.t.e.r, you can use this fun coloring page to get the kids motivated for the early countdown.
4. New Years Coloring Pages
If your kids love good old-fashioned coloring, this could be a great family activity to come together.
This free New Years’ bundle includes two coloring pages – one is to decorate the party items (you can really get creative here), and the other page is a traditional coloring page.
I love to hang up the pictures for the countdown (for added festivity).
5. New Years Memory Game
Cut out the New Years’ symbols on this free printable and place them face down.
Flip over two cards, and when you get a match, you get a point. Play until all the cards are matched. The person with the most matches wins!
You could also color the symbols before you play for added fun!
Additional Kid’s New Year’s Eve Ideas
- I love this idea from Happiness is Homemade to make your own confetti poppers. It’s super easy to do and a ton of fun!
- Have you ever played Minute to Win it? The Pragmatic Parent has a list of fun Minute to Win it (Christmas-style) ideas!
- You could make your own Balloon Drop! Make the countdown extra special. One Good Thing has full instructions here.
- Build the best fort ever!
- Play a board game
- Have a movie night
- Go for a walk
- Make a smorgasbord of snacks
- Have a dance party!
How to Use the New Year’s Eve Activity mats
You always have the option to laminate the activity pages and use them for years to come. This is also super helpful if you want these for your classroom. (The coloring pages will need to be printed with each use however.)
I always recommend printing on cardstock, so they are more durable and can handle some wear and tear (we all know kids are hard on things).
What ages are New Year’s placemats appropriate for?
These PDF New Years’ Eve placemats are perfect for kids of any age. (Ages 2 to 102!)
Younger kids will love coloring and mazes, and older kids will love getting creative and decorating their party items.
Final thoughts on Kid’s New Year’s Activity Ideas
I hope you found a few fun ideas to celebrate New Year’s, and I hope you and your kids love these printable New Year’s Placemats placemats. I’d love to see your creations! Tag me on Instagram @mindfulmazing!
Enter your information right here to snag your New Year’s Placemat Bundle free!
You might also love these Christmas ideas:
- These Christmas color-by-number printables are sure to be a hit with your kids or students.
- I love anything reading, so why not decorate and laminate these adorable Winter Bookmarks?
- Love Elf on the Shelf? These ideas will keep your little Elf busy (oh and this includes an epic Elf on the Shelf printable bundle).
- Do you love anything traditions? Peruse our must-do list of fairy-tale Christmas traditions for the entire family.
- Looking for the best stocking stuffer ideas for kids of all ages?
What you Should Do Next…
1. Subscribe to Our Newsletter:
Signup for our newsletter for tips, resources, and lots of free printables to help you create a happier home or classroom. Plus, when you subscribe, I’ll also send you a copy of our strategy-packed guide, 12 Mini Mindfulness Activities for Kids.
2. Get the Toolkit and Put the FUN back into Parenting!
If you want even MORE tips and strategies for raising resilient, mindful, happy kids, check out The Positive Parenting Toolkit (for busy parents or teachers ready for change at 77% off the regular price). Plus, for a limited time, get FREE bonuses worth $25 — completely risk-free and with lifetime access.
3. Discover the Calm Confident Kids Toolbox
Your new bestie has arrived. The Calm Confident Kids Toolbox, a favorite among teachers, practitioners, and parents, is here. For a limited time, you get a collection of our best-selling resources worth over $100 for over 78% off.